We live in a world full of mold. Whether we like it or not, mold is all around us, both outside and inside our homes. Mold spores exist in virtually all indoor environments and, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), it is impossible to completely remove them from the interior by yourself, it is best to leave it in the hands of mold removal specialists.
Like many other fungi and plants, mold spreads by producing spores that travel throughout the air. Everyone encounters mold spores, the vast majority of the time, they do not cause adverse health effects. However, it depends on the type of mold spore.
However, the specific effects of breathing in black mold spores depend on several factors, including the content of those spores.
Effects of Breathing Black Mold Spores
Inhalation of black mold spores may have no effect on some people and can have dramatic effects on others. The effects of breathing black mold spores depend on several factors, including the following:
- Health in general. People who have mold allergies, asthma, or other immune conditions are at higher risk for adverse reactions to mold exposure.
- Infants, young children, and the elderly are more likely to experience negative health consequences after inhaling mold spores.
- People who live or work in buildings with black mold are at higher risk of developing mold-related illnesses than people who are only briefly exposed.
Where is mold found in a house?
For black mold, you can consider smaller microclimates that can harbor such levels of moisture: sweaty pipes, cabinets under the sink, standing water, roof leaks, includes the kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room.
However, moisture alone is not the only requirement for mold growth: mold requires nutrients to grow. Any environment that has nutrients such as cellulose (plant fibers) or other organic matter can harbor mold if the humidity level is right. To further allow mold growth, an environment that has poor airflow and minimal disruption is ideal.
Can you kill toxic black mold?
For most healthy people it is no, black mold will not kill you and is unlikely to make you sick.
However, black mold can make the following groups sick:
- very young people
- very old people
- people with compromised immune systems
- people with existing health conditions
- But even these groups are unlikely to die from exposure to black mold.
If you haven’t been feeling well and think you may have been exposed to black mold or any other type of mold, schedule a visit with your doctor. They will try to determine your level of sensitivity to mold and its effects on your health.
Black mold is a known health hazard that can appear in a residence or workplace as a result of excess moisture found in common materials such as drywall, paper products, or wood. This is a fungal infestation that is especially dangerous for the occupants of a home or building. The presence of black mold creates an unhealthy environment due to the toxins that the microorganisms give off. These toxins, if inhaled, can make the victim ill. The most common symptoms are confusion, dizziness, shortness of breath, skin irritation, and vision damage. Symptoms are treatable if exposure is not prolonged.
Proper repair of mold damage requires training and experience. Any error in the procedures can cause serious health problems to the person carrying out the repair and possibly endanger the occupants of the structure.